I'm into making gifts for friends and family, and decided to share my recipe for lip butter!
- popsicle sticks or equivalent to stir while melting contents
- a spoon
- an old medicine syringe to suck up hot lip butter if using a incense burner
- your cauldron of choice: either an incense tealight holder or you can use a double boiler, or metal bowl set on top of a pan of boiling water.
The containers I used to pour the lip butter in are used cleaned carmax containers and I bought some for $0.18 at www.bulkapothecary.com
or old lip stick and chapstick tubes. Also, if you are using a stove put on low heat; if using a incense burner, a tealight candle does the job.
- 1/2 tsp – 1tsp (depending on how thick you want it) Sweet almond oil or Argan Oil (found on amazon and ebay)
- 1/2 tsp Shea Butter (can be bought on Amazon by the lb for around $5–$10)
- 1 crayon stick or start off with half of one just in case you want to mix another color or it is not light or dark enough (I’m sure most with kids have broken crayon stashes).
If you’re not comfortable using crayon, this can also be made using eye shadow (either grab one at the dollar store or use some eye shadow you already own that's not being used).
- optional: flavoring. Food flavoring does fine. I used grape cranberry food grade essential oil from bulkapothecary.com.
1) Warm up your cauldron of choice.
2) Add Shea Butter and Essential Oil.
3) Sacrifice crayon to the lip GODS or eye shadow after shea butter has melted. Stir slowly until crayon has melted.
4) If planning on adding food grade flavoring, add that now.
5) Use medicine syringe suck up the hot lip butter in to it and dispense into your container of choice.
6) Place filled containers in freezer or in The Fridge. As my granny use to say, "Uncovered for faster cooling or cover it if you think someone just might knock it over while trying to reach for that tv dinner way back in the back." Let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes in freezer (may take longer if at the bottom).
If after the batch cools and you feel it's too thick, add more essential oil. It's still usable if it's thick, just use the body heat from your finger tip to soften the lip butter before use.
ENJOY! The possibilities are endless when you use your I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N!