Are Kids Games Too Hard?
Posted: 21 April 2011 02:42 PM
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2011-03-23
I just want to know other people's opinion on this subject.

My daughter has a lot of kids games and some of them are way too hard for kids, in my opinion.

For instance....in the game Up, the beginning of the game has you shooting at planes attacking you. She can't do it, and for the life of me, I can't do it either.

She's 8 and I'm 30 for perspective, lol.

Also, in Kung Fu Panda, there's this part where you have to use turtles as stepping stones to jump thru this lake....well, she's attempted it multiple times and each time she falls in the water and dies. I've tried it too, and I don't get past it either.

She's also gotten stuck on parts in Shrek 3, Where the Wild Things Are, Bolt and I'm sure other games.

I know for Shrek 3, she got stuck at the part where you have to jump on these spinning wheels and go from the bottom of the screen to a high ledge. After she gave up, my boyfriend even tried (and he's a much more experienced gamer than me) and even he couldn't do it.

So, is it just that me and her are bad gamers? Do we need more practice? Or are these games hard?

Can anyone recommend some easy, tear-free games for kids? Something where it's challenging but not frustrating?
 Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2011 04:10 PM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2469
Joined  2010-08-04
I don't play a lot of kids games, but in my experiance I think that they seem hard to people that are better at other game types. I really struggled with kung fu panda just playing versus (like I could barely get the character to toward the person I wanted to attack, let alone attack them.) But my kid neighbor from across the street takes the controller and can do whatever he wants. There are other games that I don't really have any problems with though and he really stuggles. You're problem is like that?
 Signature 

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamertag=allets

Posted: 22 April 2011 06:19 AM   [ # 2 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2011-03-06
Hey TobyLynn

Have you tried this game? Toy Story 3 it's a super cute tie-in game from the movie . Best part about it? If you don't finish a segment in so many tries, it modifies it in such a way that you're bound to get it (at least to the point that I played) As another suggestion, you might want to shoot Odessa a PM, I know she loves her kiddo games, I'm sure she could give a few ideas. Ok, hope this helped! cheese
 Signature 

Sing once again with me, a strange duet…

Posted: 22 April 2011 01:09 PM   [ # 3 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2011-03-23
Yes, I have tried Toy Story 3, my daughter loves it. smile

One of the few kids games I don't have an issue with, lol.
 Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2011 03:04 AM   [ # 4 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-06
Aww, glad it was one that worked for you guys. One more suggestion that MIGHT work, is "Beautiful Katamari." (I'd rent it first if interested) I don't like the direction that they've taken with the wonky controls. But, if you can figger out the controls, it's a fun, quirky little game, unlike anything else out there. The series has been one of my favorites in the gaming world.

I do wish Harvest Moon would make its way over to the XBox. smile As for me, I think I've glutted on the series, but it's a game that has instant girlie appeal.
 Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2011 07:45 AM   [ # 5 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1482
Joined  2010-10-07
I gotta admit I'm part of the "not-so-anonymous kids games lovers" group xD I loved Kinectimals and also How to Train your Dragon, reading this thread makes me want to order a few cheap kids games (since I don't really have the option to rent them here). Haaaa... taking a break from those eeeevil violent other games lol :D

Katamari is awesome btw, I haven't played the series for quite a bit now, but right now I also feel like playing this again.

And talking of hard games for kids... one of the HARDEST games I ever played was "The Smurfs" for the SNES.. 16 years ago. Man I struggled with this one. Don't be by supercute looks wink
 Signature 

Work hard, play harder!  smile

Posted: 24 April 2011 11:04 AM   [ # 6 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2923
Joined  2009-10-08
ive also found some kids games hard. for example i just brought the kinect carnaval game and ther eis no way any children under 13 are going to be able to do that, even i struggle.

i think i might start a too hard for kids, kids game thread here, so we mums no which games to avoid for our little ones.
 Signature 

*~* GamerchiX *~*

PopchiX Chix of the month March 2011

Posted: 27 April 2011 10:12 AM   [ # 7 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-06
@Lucienna - I just gave my husband "the look" when he told me he traded off "Beautiful Katamari," for some new game ages ago. I will most certainly be rectifying that situation at some point.

@Shadow- Yeah, great idea. It sort of astounds me how poorly designed some "kids games" are. Not that my sample size has been all that big. I can certainly understand why people like them though. cheese
 Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2011 12:16 PM   [ # 8 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2923
Joined  2009-10-08
well the too hard for kids thread is open and witing for games to be added.

just rented monsters vs aliens and the bee movie game. be sure to let ya know how i get on
 Signature 

*~* GamerchiX *~*

PopchiX Chix of the month March 2011

Posted: 02 May 2011 01:28 PM   [ # 9 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2009-09-04
@MaryC: You know it!

I love to play kids games and agree that there are a lot that venture into the teens/adult as far as being difficult. A lot of the kids games are movie related and they are churned out with little/no thought as to the mechanics and a younger audience. I can suggest a few games that are a blast for a younger child, ones that may be enjoyable depending upon skill and those that are too tough. This is for the game and not just achievements. Those make the game a tad more difficult. List (in no particular order):

Younger Child:
Rango
Night at the Museum 2
Megamind
Open Season
Surfs Up

Younger/Older Child:
Ben 10 (one and two)
Bolt
Meet the Robinsons
Toy Story 3
Bolt
Up
Cars
Spiderwick Chronicles
Where the Wild Things Are
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Older Child/Adult:
Mini Ninjas
Harry Potter OOTP
Kung Fu Panda

Poor Mechanics:
Legends of the Guardians
Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal

I hope these helped. I didn't list the arcade ones.
 Signature 

Twittering | 360 Blogging

Posted: 27 May 2011 03:29 AM   [ # 10 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-15
I think I will go old school to introduce my little one to gaming. There are lots of XBLA titles, like the original Sonic games etc.

I think a lot of modern games are a bit overwhelming and difficult to get into. Space invaders and other games which only require you to press the A button are probably good, Uno anybody?