Thanksgiving
Posted: 09 November 2013 10:54 AM
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  619
Joined  2010-01-06
Welp- I sent out beautiful (IMHO!) home made Thanksgiving Feast invitations and everyone has gotten them. I stamped, did calligraphy, and even made the whole invite a poem. Tied 'em with raffia and am waiting for RSVP's.
 Signature 

Raptr Gamercard
Subscribe to my gaming blog, Limited AddictionOr my personal one: EnchantedDaisy

Posted: 09 November 2013 11:11 AM   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2823
Joined  2009-09-04
Oh sweet! Did you take a picture of them? I would love to see them. I love all that papercraft stuff even though I don't do it myself.
 Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2013 11:33 AM   [ # 2 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-06
kwynn - 09 November 2013 11:11 AM
Oh sweet! Did you take a picture of them? I would love to see them. I love all that papercraft stuff even though I don't do it myself.

My husband thought to get a pic before we put the last one in the envelope, LoL. I was thinking that when I have NOTHING else to do, that I will just make one for the scrapbook. I will have to get him to upload his pic. Thanks for the reminder wink

My mom says she's going to frame hers red face
 Signature 

Raptr Gamercard
Subscribe to my gaming blog, Limited AddictionOr my personal one: EnchantedDaisy

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:30 AM   [ # 3 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-06
So I'm making dinner last night and my dad called to tell me he thought my invite was lovely and he was coming.
This may sound inconsequential but I have hardly seen or talked to my dad...ever. In fact, sending him an invite was a last-minute thing and I just did it in name only...thinking he wouldn't show but would know I was thinking of him. So when he called to confirm, my mouth literally dropped.

We get along fine and haven't ever fought but he is just not someone who expresses or shares emotion. He's a good guy, smart, and handy (he's was a shipbuilding engineer). I always feel like I'm reaching out to him and he's never there for me.

So the sticky part is:
He and Mama divorced back in '78, remarried in '85, dad moved out in the late 80's, and they didn't divorce until 2002-ish. They haven't seen each other since. I've invited Mama (who lives in GA and I haven't seen in at least 5 years) to Thanksgiving but I will probably not know for sure if she's coming until Thanksgiving day...it's just how she is. She can't plan anything! But I am not sure if I should tell her dad is coming. If I do, she will probably beg off and give some martyr excuse like she wants me to be able to spend time with my dad. but if I don't tell her and she shows up and he's here, I'm afraid she will do this "pretend happy" thing she does which is uncomfortable for everyone. and later she will shame me for not telling her he was going to b there.

When i sent the invites out, I thought about what would happen if both my mom and dad said they'd come. Then I shrugged my shoulders and figured it wasn't likely and I'd cross that bridge when I got there.

So let me ask:
In a regular party-invite situation it is rude to ask about who else is attending and it's also rude to name-drop who has RSVP'd but do you think that "excuse" would apply to this situation? My dad was considerate enough not to ask and my mom probably would never guess in a million years that I'd invited dad and he'd accepted. I feel like Rachel in Friends when both her parents were invited to her birthday party. I just want everyone to come and have a good time.
 Signature 

Raptr Gamercard

Posted: 15 November 2013 06:42 PM   [ # 4 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2011-08-17
I think it's a good idea let your parents know that the other one is coming. Hopefully they'd both show no matter what but it's best not to have any surprises. If it were me I'd want to have the chance to prepare myself instead of that awkward moment of seeing someone you weren't planning on seeing. Good luck to you. Hope everything runs smoothly.

Posted: 15 November 2013 10:33 PM   [ # 5 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  810
Joined  2012-09-05
In theory, if your parents haven't seen each other in ten years or so, they've hopefully moved on emotionally by now. However, if my family is anything to go by, divorce can make people weird. I'd say give BOTH your parents a heads up. I'd say a faux pas beats a night of awkward.
 Signature 

Raptr Gamercard

Posted: 16 November 2013 11:11 AM   [ # 6 ]
AwesomeSauce
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-06
Other than the divorce proceedings, they actually haven't seen each other since the late 80's... and over the 20-ish years they were married, they only lived together for about 4.

My dad is cool as a cucumber and would be pretty smooth about things if mom were here, but Mom would likely not come if I were to tell her. And maybe it's selfish but I haven't seen her in so long. It's not like there was any impropriety in their marriage...my mom just was a pants-wearer who no one could please...

However, I totally get your points.
 Signature 

Raptr Gamercard